Home > Parents > Changes to The Texas Family Code Amend a Child’s Right to Choose

Changes to The Texas Family Code Amend a Child’s Right to Choose

by James L. Nowlin, P.C.

On September 1, 2009, several changes to the Texas Family Code were legislated. One of the more notable changes was to Section 153.008 of the Texas Family Code which eliminated the option of a child’s filing a written preference as to which parent with whom to live. The 81st Texas Legislature has repealed this section. Unless the case goes to jury trial, Section 153.009 requires the court to interview a child in judge’s chambers to determine which parent’s residence would be best for rearing the child.

Prior to this legislative change, children 12 years of age and older could sign a document of preference which would be filed with the court. Though this request was subject to the approval of the court, it carried substantial weight in the court’s decision as to which parent would be named the conservator with the right to designate the child’s primary residence. In the course of a divorce or modification of parent child relationship, having the child submit such a preference was significantly easier and perhaps less stressful than the other remedies.

The question of a child’s right to choose his or her residence is a contentious and emotional issue. On one hand, it seems obvious that the court should consider the opinion of a preteen (age 12) or teenager whose lifestyle and future is being determined. On the other hand, the legislature was concerned that children of all ages, especially younger ones, lack the ability to determine what is in their best interest and may be subject to parental coercion and/or fear of parental alienation. The interview in chambers allows the judge to better evaluate the child’s preference and thus guides the judge to a better outcome. In reaction to the repeal of Section 153.008, most judges have formulated a careful procedure by which the child may be interviewed.

A prudent attorney will know the procedures to apply for the court’s conference with the child and will advise the client as to the best approach for seeking the child’s residence with him or her.A knowledgeable attorney will also know the basic method of the judge’s procedure in interviewing the child, thus assisting the child in making that preference clear in a comfortable way.

If you are facing a custody trial or have questions about how this change and others may affect your family, please contact a Texas attorney with experience and a thorough knowledge of family law matters, including the new enactments of September 1, 2009.

Categories: Parents
  1. susan johnson
    February 28, 2010 at 1:59 PM

    Is it illegal to alienate children from previous marriages? It’s illegal to DENY visitations but not when a parent has no interest beyond legal enforcement.(Stay away, move away, help stepchildren/new siblings, create negative scenarios) “I don’t like her/him and don’t want them to come to my house!” The father/husband for fear of another divorce or genuine apathy allows the current wife to rule. This not only affects the childhood experience but decades of low self esteem and future generations (grandchildren)

  2. Mark
    September 11, 2015 at 8:34 PM

    Haven’t seen my daughter in years. I make too much money to qualify for free help and too little money to buy an attorney every time she doesn’t show up to the visitation (Which I have to pay for). haven’t spoken to my daughter but a handful of times since 2009 despite calling hundreds and emailing hundreds. Mom admits to putting hurdles in place to allowing me to contact her. On our last speak, my daughter repeated on the phone that she didn’t think it was wise to get in touch with me per her mom.

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s